Skip to main content

Chicken and Leek Pie

I seem to have gotten a little behind with my 52 new recipes in 2017 with the chaos of the end of the school year, so now I'm hoping to catch up.  Recipe number 17, Chicken and Leek Pie, is something I'd never even eaten let alone cooked.  It has always sounded so good though, so when the recipe popped up on Pinterest, I jumped at the opportunity. Let me say, Oh My Goodness!!! You have to make this! It's amazing. All 6 of us loved it and everyone but Scottie had seconds. I've never seen 6 plates literally licked clean in all my years of mommy cooking.


Chicken and Leek Pie

2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken leg pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
1 medium onion, quartered
3 sprigs parsley
1 small bunch thyme
6 sage leaves, divided
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 leeks, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten


In a large pot, combine chicken leg pieces, onion, parsley, 1/2 bunch thyme, and 3 sage leaves, and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat, reduce to low, cover, and cook until chicken is tender and falling off bone, about 1 hour. Remove and reserve chicken pieces, strain cooking liquid and reserve, and discard remaining solids. Return cooking liquid to pot and simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Reserve.
Shred the chicken and transfer to a large bowl, discarding skin and bones.
Remove leaves from the remaining thyme, and finely slice remaining sage. Melt 1 tablespoons of butter In a large skillet over medium high heat. Add leeks, thyme leaves, and sliced sage. Cook, stirring often, until the leeks are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Combine leeks and chicken.
Melt remaining butter in the skillet over medium high heat and add flour. Cook, stirring often, until flour just begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Whisking constantly, slowly add 1 1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid and Dijon mustard and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in cream, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and leeks and mix until fully incorporated; taste and season again with salt and pepper if necessary. Allow the mixture to fully cool before assembling pie.

To assemble the pie: Adjust the oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400°F. Divide puff pastry into 2 pieces and roll each piece into a 9- by 11-inch rectangle. Place 1 rectangle on a lined baking sheet, then place the filling in the center of the pie leaving a 1 inch border. Brush the border with beaten egg, then place the remaining sheet of pastry on top. Pinch the edges closed, then brush the edges with egg and fold each edge over. Brush the rest of the pie with egg. With the tip of a knife, make two holes for the center for the steam to escape, Gently score the top of the pie. Bake until pie is golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogmas 2014 - Day 8 What Is On Your Wish List This Year

Oh my goodness, I'm really pretty easy to buy for.  I have pretty much everything a girl could want.  I mean of course I have a few things but I'm not really counting on anything because I already got a huge gift of the new car. I really love scarves, especially infinity scarves right now.  I'm beyond obsessed.   Fun gadgets, appliances, etc for my kitchen are always a win for me as well as cookbooks and decorations.  I'm so into all of it, and it's the best go to gift idea for me. A nice pair of rain boots or wellies.  I just bought some for all of my kids for Christmas, and I've been dying for my own for years. Vera Bradley!  I'm so in love with Vera Bradley.  I'd like a bigger purse, as well as a library tote bag. And honestly I've not asked for any of even these things because what I want more than anything else in the world, is our own house.  I want to buy a house for my kids to grow up in an...

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with swee...

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my br...