Skip to main content

Thirteen Reasons Why - Book Review

The 12th book I read in my 24 books was Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.



Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Paperback: 288 pages  Publisher: Razorbill; 1st Edition (June 14, 2011)

Ok, so unless you've been living under a rock you already know what this book is about.  The controversy surrounding the Netflix series and this book are completely insane but probably warranted.

I have to start this by saying suicide is something that has effected me and my family, so it isn't something I take lightly.

Thirteen Reasons Why is about a girl, Hannah, who has committed suicide and leaves behind a series of tapes that explain why she did what she did. With the tapes is a list of people that are supposed to receive these tapes, one after another. We see the story and hear the tapes through the eyes and ears of Clay, a boy who had a crush on Hannah.

From an adult point of view, I can say that what this girl seemed to experience was not ok, but kids are cruel and the same things that happened to her have happened to me and I'm sure to most kids in the world. I'm not trying to minimize her pain as I realize that many teens commit suicide for these exact reasons all the time. I do know that this book and I'm sure the tv series (I haven't seen it) don't really glorify suicide as some people are saying. They seem to very well show how people hurt and it effects other people's lives but it did also make it seem like Hannah got the last word. She got to tell her story through these tapes. Anyone who knows somebody that has committed suicide knows, the following through with the act, in reality, silences your voice.

I don't know how I felt about this book. It might be my least favorite book I've read this year. It almost made me feel grimy. This could be due to my previous experience with suicide as well as my battles with depression and anxiety and not actually the book. I don't know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with swee...

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my br...

Blogmas 2014 - Day 8 What Is On Your Wish List This Year

Oh my goodness, I'm really pretty easy to buy for.  I have pretty much everything a girl could want.  I mean of course I have a few things but I'm not really counting on anything because I already got a huge gift of the new car. I really love scarves, especially infinity scarves right now.  I'm beyond obsessed.   Fun gadgets, appliances, etc for my kitchen are always a win for me as well as cookbooks and decorations.  I'm so into all of it, and it's the best go to gift idea for me. A nice pair of rain boots or wellies.  I just bought some for all of my kids for Christmas, and I've been dying for my own for years. Vera Bradley!  I'm so in love with Vera Bradley.  I'd like a bigger purse, as well as a library tote bag. And honestly I've not asked for any of even these things because what I want more than anything else in the world, is our own house.  I want to buy a house for my kids to grow up in an...