Skip to main content

This Summer Is Flying By

Is it really true?  I haven't blogged since last month?  That's insane!  Well, I'm going to do my best to catch up on everything fun we've been doing since last time.

This summer I seem to have gotten a strange reaction to the heat.  I find myself sick to my stomach almost every afternoon and evening.  I think it's because the AC on our home does not keep up at all and the house is usually at 80 ish degrees.  I know, that doesn't seem like a lot to some people, but in this house, to me, that's hot.  It's so hot that this stay at home chef doesn't want to cook anything for fear of making the house even hotter.  I'm dying for some delicious homemade moist bread or lemon blueberry muffins, but I don't want to turn the oven on.

We've been spending a lot of time at my mother and father-in-law's home, and swimming in their pool.  One day, it was so hot even in the pool that they bought almost 40 10lb blocks of ice and put them in the pool.  It was pretty neat, and the kids loved it.


Between the ice and the hose, the pool cooled down enough to feel comfortable.

I feel confident enough to say that Ben is pretty much potty trained.  He wears big boy underwear all day long and only a diaper at night and we've had very few accidents.  Last night, Shawn decided that Ben could wear his big boy underwear to bed, needless to say, his sheets, comforter, and mattress pad are all in the washer as we speak.

We went to Shawn's parent's house on the weekend of the 4th.  Who am I kidding, this is where we are most weekends, all year round.  Anyway, the night of the 3rd, our friend Terry took us down by the T-Bones stadium to watch their firework show.  We sat in the back of the truck and watched the pretty fireworks.




On the 4th, we spent a good chunk of the day in the pool with family and then we went to Terry's house and ate dinner and set off fireworks as a group.  Terry even bought the kids glow sticks because they had seen some other kids with them the night before and wanted them.




After it got dark, we headed back up towards the baseball stadium to watch their firework show.  We went with Shawn's sister Kelly and her boyfriend Michael.  We had to wait a while for the firework show to start, but we were in good company and once it did start it was amazing so we didn't mind.




Monday was my 26th Birthday.  The kids slept in, allowing me to get a little extra sleep too.  We took the kids to see Cars 2 in the early afternoon.  It was interesting, but considering we took a 3 year old and a 16 month old to the movies, it really wasn't a bad experience.  Maybe next time we'll leave Sydney with a sitter.  The movie was really cute by the way.  Completely different from the first one.  We went to dinner at the Argosy with the whole family.  Shawn's parents, our friend Terry, Shawn's Grandma, my Grandpa, my Mom, her husband Rob, my brother, my sister, her husband and their two kids.  It was a big group but we all enjoyed good food and had a great time.

My mother in law Julie, and my father in law Andy with Sydney.



 Shawn and Ben.


My sister Courtney, and her son CJ.


My brother Andy, Shawn's Grandma Bernie, and our friend Terry.


Opening presents.  Me, Grandpa Moose, my mom, and my brother in law Chris.


My Grandpa Moose holding my niece Abby.



Also, this is the first time that we didn't take something for Ben to eat while eating at the Argosy.  Any parent of a peanut allergic child knows a buffet is a dangerous place for their child to eat.  Normally we pick up Taco Bell or Wendy's and take it with us for Ben, but this time, we called the restaurant ahead and they told us that we need to tell a manager when we get there and they would make him a special plate.  Anything he wanted.  We got him a big cheeseburger with tons of fries and watermelon.  He was in heaven and had no idea that he was eating anything different than anyone else.  It was really a great experience.

Today, because it's so hot in the afternoons here, the kids and I are hiding out in the bedrooms and the office since they are much cooler than the living room and kitchen.  Earlier today though we did go outside for some fun in the hose.  We will be doing this much more.  It was too much fun.








All in all, this summer has been pretty fun aside from the heat making me sick.  I'm just doing my best to stay hydrated and cool, and do as much fun stuff as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and