This Roller Coaster We've Been Living

How is it possible that the time throughout the day seems to move so fast, yet the overall time (weeks, months, etc) seems to be dragging along?  I feel like there is not enough time in a day to get everything we want done.  Maybe I'm not budgeting my time wisely, but I feel like the minutes and hours just fly by and at the end of the day I'm left thinking Why didn't I get this done?  On the other side of the coin, I'm not a patient person.  I wish I could be, but I'm not.  This pregnancy is driving me nuts.  I thought that with 2 small children already, time would fly by.  That's not the case.  I find myself anxiously awaiting February.  I'm probably crazy, but I can't help but be excited.

Ok, now onto what's new...

Last Thursday started as a pretty normal day for us.  We were completely out of food in the house so we planned on going grocery shopping as a family as soon as Shawn got home from work.  The weather here has been a little chilly off and on so the kids haven't had their outside time they normally have and were getting a little cabin fever.  At the store, they might have been a little more wild than normal, but nothing too extreme.  Really, they were still being very well behaved.  After the grocery store we picked up some Wendy's on the way home.  Half way through his dinner, Ben announced that his lip hurt, so I called him over to me.  He had a rash on his face and all over his body.  Anybody with a food allergic child knows this is not good and action has to be taken immediately or can turn very bad, very quick.  We gave him some Benadryl and Shawn threw him in the tub.  The bath helped with the rash on his body, but only while he was in there.  As soon as he got out of the tub it came back just as strong if not worse.  We called his doctor and then decided to wait it out.  After a long night of very little sleep, he woke up and the rash on his face was completely gone.  The rash on his body, however, was spreading even worse.  We called his doctor who said there was nothing they could do and to call his allergist.  We called his allergist and they scheduled us an appointment to look back into his peanut allergy in about 3-4 weeks.  I just kept thinking Why won't anyone help my baby?  It's a frustrating feeling to know something is not right but nobody will even try to help figure out what is wrong.  After a few more days of this itchy rash all over his body (it was so bad he couldn't even sleep at night because he was scratching and crying) I decided I'd had enough.  Tuesday morning we took him to see the Physicians Assistant at his doctor's office.  She had no idea what this rash was but put him on a steroid.  Why wouldn't his doctor try to do that?  It's now Friday and the steroid has been helping with the rash, but it's still not gone and even more so, we don't know what caused this reaction.  One thing I am pretty certain of now though, this is not a peanut reaction.

Saturday, we went to the pumpkin patch.  The kids had a good time, but Ben really had a blast.  He's getting to be such a fun age.  He enjoyed these things in the past, but not like this year.  He was so excited for the hay ride that he was devastated when we didn't do it as the first thing when we got there.  He calmed down fast though, since there was so much to do.  We started out by going in the haunted house.  He was a little scared by it but seemed to get over it pretty quickly.  A little way into the corn maze, he decided he had to use the potty so Shawn took him up to the bathrooms while the rest of us did the maze.  

When we were done, we waited to see Ben come running out of the end, so excited that he and his Daddy made it through.

They had a big slide that the kids really enjoyed.  

It was so tall and so fast though, that Sydney needed someone to do it with her.  Aunt Kelly rode the slide with her over and over and over again.  

The kids really had a fun time with that.  Then, it was time for the hay ride so we could go pick out our pumpkins.

The pumpkin patch had so many good pumpkins that it was hard to find the perfect ones.  We did it though.  The kids got some really pretty pumpkins.

After the pumpkin patch, we went back to Shawn's parent's house for some yummy chili and a little relaxing before the Halloween party we were supposed to go that evening.  While Julie, Shawn's mom, was giving the kids a bath, we realized that we didn't have the kids costumes.  I couldn't not keep my promise to Ben that he could be a pirate that night, so I drove to Lawrence and back just to get their left behind costumes.  It took me about an hour, but it was really worth it to see how excited Ben was. 

Sydney got to be a cute little kittie cat.  At one point she even caught a mouse.  (A fake one that after picking up she decided she was afraid of, but too scared to put down.)

Ben was too funny.  He was in character all night.  He even cried when it was time to leave.  That was a great party.

Sunday, we were supposed to go back to Kansas City.  We like to do Sunday dinner there with the whole family.  We didn't end up going though.  Instead we stayed at home and worked our hineys off.  The kids have so many toys and they are taking up our whole house.  Ben hasn't even gotten the chance to play with some of his new toys from his birthday, over a month ago, because we've had nowhere to set them up.  Shawn and I decided to turn our office/storage room into the kids playroom.  We moved everything out of there including the desk and computer, which are now in our bedroom where our dresser used to be.  We took everything out of the bottom of our closet and off of the shelf.  We put the dresser in our closet, which wasn't a perfect fit, but a good one anyway.  The shelf is now being used for things the kids shouldn't have.  We took all the toys from the living room and put them in the playroom as well.  You would not believe how empty the living room looks without the basket ball goal, toy drawers, and piles of toys taking up all the space.  The kids are playing in their together and actually getting along!  Ben loves the playroom so much, that he has been in there for a day and a half.  I have to beg him to come out for meal time.  Why would he want to eat when he can finally play with his RC car track?  

Monday, I went to my doctor.  We had our sonogram to check on the baby's growing and to check on the blood clot that I have.  The clot isn't going away but is slowly starting to shrink.  Thank goodness, but we aren't out of the clear yet.  I'm still on light duty and I have another sonogram in two months to check on this pesky clot and make sure it isn't hurting the baby's growth at all.

Yesterday, we carved our pumpkins.  We did the kids' pumpkins with them and then ours after they went to bed.  The kids were not much help with the pumpkin carving.  Neither of them particularly wanted to clean them out.  Sydney's was, of course, a kittie cat.  That's her favorite.  Shawn did it for her.  

I took direction from Ben making a mad face for his.  He knew exactly what he wanted and made me draw it out a couple of times just to get it right.  He's so funny.

Tonight, I'll take pictures of all 4 pumpkins together, with their candles lit, in front of our somewhat festive looking house.  

The other day, Ben and I got our aprons on and made pumpkin cookies.  

I have to say that I'm in love with everything that Full Bellies Make Happy Kids cooks.  If it's on this blog and looks at all appetizing, then I assure you, it is.  Even though a lot of these recipes aren't her own exactly, you would be hard pressed to find another website with so many different and delicious recipes all compiled into one page.  We made these yummy Iced Pumpkin Cookies.  I changed a few things, looks like back to the original recipe, so I will post it next.  These cookies were so fluffy and delicious that they were almost like cake.  Ben had a good time helping make them, and an even better time eating them.  We made them Wednesday afternoon, and here it is Friday morning, and they are gone...

This weekend looks to be another busy one.  We'll have to wait and see how it turns out and what all we have time for.  I'll be sure to keep you updated.


Popular Posts