Skip to main content

Homemake Meme

I was tagged by the lovely Sandra, at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom, for this wonderful Homemaking meme and I thought, Why not?  It looks like fun.  I'm tagging FeliciaMegan, and Sarah.  How it works is you copy and paste this onto your blog, answer the questions, tag some friends, and then let me know if you do it, so I can come and read. 


Aprons - Y/N If Y what does your favorite look like?
Yes I do.  I have one that I made out of fun brightly colored argyle and some pink and brown houndstooth printed fabrics.  I also made one for Sydney out of fabric with pretty birds on it, and Ben's has rocket ships and astronauts.

Baking - Favorite thing to bake?
Unfortunately my baking ends at bread, muffins, or cookies.  I just wasn't blessed with a baking gene. My sister on the other hand is a great cupcake baker.  One time for Thanksgiving I thought I would make rolls or biscuits, I can't remember which.  Well, they didn't rise, but I was proud of them anyway. At dinner, my Grandma, sweet Grandma, asked who made the sugar cookies, to which I answered saying they weren't actually sugar cookies but rolls.  She politely threw them directly in the trash.  I never tried them again.  Hahahaha!  Also, everytime I bake cakes from scratch, they only taste like flour, not yummy and fluffy.

Clothesline - Y/N
I wish.  We have a clothes rack for the clothes we don't dry and sometimes when it's nice outside, we move it out, but most of the time, it lives in the office, right across the hall from the laundry room.

Donuts - Have you ever made them?
I never have.  Once again, I'm no baker, and we don't usually fry much food. 

Everyday - One homemaking thing you do everyday?
Oh, there is too many, but one that I never get a single break from is laundry.

Freezer - Do you have a separate deep freeze?
YES!  With 5 mouths to feed, soon to be 6 when Scotland is eating table food, we'd be paying out the hooha without buying meat in bulk or things on sale and freezing them for later.

Garbage Disposal - Y/N
I have one but try not to use it often.  I had one break one time, and don't want to deal with that again so it's an every now and then for tiny things type of thing.

Handbook - What is your favorite homemaking resource?
Well, cookbooks of course, then there are a few blogs I turn to, and Pinterest when all else fails.

Ironing - Love it or hate it?
I'm not crazy about it although, I wish I did it more.  I think at this point my hatred of ironing is more of keeping the kids away from the hot iron.  When I was a teenager, I used to iron my Dad's work clothes, and I'd iron my neighbor's shirts for money.

Junk drawer- Y/N - Where is it?
No!  I hate a junk drawer.  I'm a pile queen, which is awful and I try to get rid of it, sometimes succeeding but always popping back up here and there.  Truth is, if I have a junk drawer, it is out of sight but never out of mind, and it sits there taunting me, driving me absolutely insane.

Kitchen - Color and decorating scheme?
My kitchen walls are white (we rent currently) but my accessories are black, white, red and green.  I have a country kitchen theme, mostly roosters.  My mom even gave me a picture that used to hang in our kitchen when I was growing up that has a pig and some roosters on it.



Love - What is your favorite part of homemaking?
It makes a house a home.  Someday, my kids will be making the foods I make today, for their kids, and I'll be passing down artwork or house decorations that they grew up with.  It's helps create the warmness for our family.

Mop - Y/N
Sometimes I use a regular old mop, but I much prefer my steam mop.

Nylons - Wash by hand or in washing machine?
I don't have nylons, but I wash my daughter's tights for dance in the washing machine and hang them to dry.

Oven - Do you use the window to check on things or do you open the door?
I usually open the door.  The stove at the last house didn't have a working light and you couldn't really see inside, so I just got into the habit of opening the door.

Pizza - What do you put on yours?
I love making pizza.  I like to load them up with delicious sauce, cheese, pepperoni, breakfast sausage, ham, onions, bell peppers, banana peppers, and cream cheese.  I like to put the green tabasco on my pizza as well.

Quiet - What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?
Read, whether it be a book, blogs, or even a magazine.  I also like to crochet, or sit and watch a TV show that maybe I can't watch while the kids are around.

Recipe Card Box - Y/N
I don't have one but I have a notebook that I write recipes in that I love.

Style of house
I have a couple of loves.  I love country/primitive, but I also love nautical and beachy themes, and kind of an India home decor theme. Sometimes I get in different moods and change things up a bit.

Tablecloth and napkins - Y/N
I wish... I'm saving those things for when my kids are older and a little less messy though.

Under the kitchen sink - Organized or toxic wasteland?
Somewhat organized.  It's not great, but if it's messy, it taunts me, much like a junk drawer does.

Vacuum -  How many times per week? 
With 3 kids running around, a dog, a cat, and company somewhat often, we get a lot of dirt, hair, and food tracked all over so I'm not sure how often I vacuum, but it's rather frequent.  Frequent enough that we finally gave in and bought a Dyson because we were going through a "cheaper" vacuum every year or so.

Wash - How many loads per week?
Oh boy, usually 2 loads a day and a towel load about every 3 days or so.  It's insane how much laundry we do.

X's - Do you make a daily to do list and check it off as you do things? 
Sometimes, but not usually.

Yard - Y/N - Who does what?
Shawn mows, but I usually weed eat, weed, and water the plants.  We garden together.

Zzz's - What is the last homemaking task you do for the day before you go to bed?
Picking up laundry from the kids room and throw it downstairs in the basket on top of the washer, and clean all the dirty dishes and cups off the kitchen table that have accumulated since dinner.

Comments

Sandra said…
Thank you for playing along Liz, I'm so glad you did. I feel like I learned a little more about you through this :)
Sarah said…
Oh my goodness, I cannot live without my Dyson, LOL. We had a 'Henry' vacuum years ago, but it was rubbish. So what I did was vacuumed with 'Henry' and then with the new Dyson. It was amazing! :)

I love a nautical/beachy theme too...imagine myself as a sufer dudette (without ever having surfed LOL).

Thanks for tagging me! I've already done the meme here: http://its-ok-to-fail.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/homemaking-meme.html

Hope you had a great weekend. x

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and