Skip to main content

Life in Quarantine

Well, we’ve been quarantined now for 29 days. I’m not really sure what to say about it.

So, for starters, the kids school has obviously been called off for the rest of the school year. Ben started virtual school last week and the girls started this week. The kids are also doing virtual dance classes. It’s a lot of memorizing of new schedules for me, but it’s cool that they are still able to meet with their classes, teachers, and dance class. Thank goodness for technology, right?





Speaking of technology, Shawn got me set up on my iPad. I love my MacBook, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a lot and this is much easier to swap pictures with my phone with. I put iMovie and my photo editing app on here too so I can hopefully get some more work done. 


Shawn literally put this together for me last night, right before his run and said “Type up a blog post or something!” I appreciate his help so much. He’s been doing as much as he can to help me through this whole thing too. 

I’ve been working on a corner to corner crochet blanket for the upstairs living room. I’m almost half way through with it. I don’t get to work on it as much as I’d like but when I do get to work on it, it’s wonderful. 


I’ve been trying to find time to read. I even carry my books everywhere with me. I’m just not getting a ton of time, which bums me out because the books are so good. 


I have been able to listen to some good audiobooks though. I’ve been able to sneak my AirPods in and listen while doing dishes, cooking dinner, folding laundry, and even on one or two occasions while I sat on the couch and crocheted after the kids went to bed.

I’ve listened to all of these since the quarantine started. 




I’m currently listening to The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel. It’s good. I know something really good is going to happen because of the build but it is moving a bit too slow for what I really want right now. I’m sticking with it, because I’m no quitter, but also like I said, because you know something really good (not necessarily positive, but juicy) will happen soon.


We’ve been keeping super busy around the house and trying to keep up on things we’ve done before this, even if we have to do it all a little differently now. Shawn’s still running everyday. If it’s nice outside he’s doing his run outside, but if it’s cold, raining, or late at night, he runs on the treadmill. His work is even doing a step challenge to help them all keep moving. Before all this, he was in the gym on average 5 days a week doing weights. Since the gym is closed and there isn’t really anywhere for us to put weights in our home, he bought some bands and works out with those on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.


On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays he and I do yoga together. We’ve switched it up from our yoga app to videos our gym has posted on YouTube. We did one that had me swearing to Shawn that she was trying to kill me but on the 4th or 5th time of doing that exact video, I was able to do it all including the push ups that had one foot crossed over the top of the other one. Honestly before this, a single push up for me was nearly impossible. I’ve never had upper body strength so I was so excited, I was literally jumping up and down.

Here’s a picture of what I mean. Clearly this isn’t me.


Both Ben and Shawn have gotten hair cuts on the back deck.





The kids have been roller blading/skating, playing basketball, and riding bikes in the driveway and sometimes across the street at the church in their big lot while nobody else is there.


Ben’s set up his desk in his room to be ready for school every morning. This way he doesn’t have to worry about his sisters being too loud for his zoom and google hangouts in class. I make the girls do their school at the kitchen table. It’s the only way I can keep them all organized and keep them from messing with each other.








The girls have done lunch with their American Girl dolls.


We cleaned up the backyard a bit and the kids have been loving the hammocks.




The animals have been getting lots of love and attention. I don’t know that they are enjoying it all that much.


                                                                  
Speaking of animals, Shawn and I definitely obsessed over the madness that is Tiger King on Netflix. I know that it’s a very serious topic, but the people are so incredibly strange that you just have to laugh.


I actually found myself saying “Hey you cool cats and kittens“ to my cats last night after everyone else was asleep when I came downstairs to grab my book from the kitchen counter. I came back upstairs and told Shawn that I’ve cracked.

I put together a centerpiece for the kitchen table, and we decorated for Easter. Tonight we’re going to decorate Easter eggs. 





We’ve been trying to keep our menu plan from getting boring, while playing ‘Let’s use what we have in the freezer and pantry.’ Shawn smoked a brisket, We’ve made soups and shredded chicken burritos, homemade sourdough cinnamon rolls, sourdough bread, and Ben even learned to grill burgers, potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli. 











Shawn got the kids with an April Fools Day prank. He printed out a thing from one of our local news companies saying that our governor said all kids had to repeat this school year. Everyone but Rylie was so upset.


We’ve been doing some gardening. I’m getting together a nice herb garden and Shawn is hopefully going to make some raised flower beds so that I can plant tomatoes and peppers. I’m pretty excited.


We’ve been enjoying the outdoors as much as we can. Shawn has even worked from the deck and I’ve been eating breakfast and reading out there.


The other day we even found a friend out there.



And now, when Shawn goes to the grocery store or hardware store, he has to wear a mask. Shawn’s parents came to drop a couple of masks at our door one day.


I honestly think, as hard as this has been, for my family anyway, we are getting plenty of good from this quarantine. Time together, time to learn cooking and gardening, getting creative with normal every day things like workouts, etc. It’s not been awful. The worst part is the not getting to see the family and friends, but thanks to FaceTime, Zoom, etc. we can at least see each other and share experiences. Tonight while we dye Easter eggs, we’re FaceTiming with Shawn’s family so they can still share the experience with us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and