Skip to main content

The New Year

A new year and the beginning of a new chapter in life.  Things have been crazy here.  Christmas through Mid January is a whirlwind of holidays and family birthdays, ending with Shawn and my anniversary.  Did everyone have a fun and safe New Years?  We sure did.  We live in a college town, so there is lots of partying and drinking here.  We don't like to take the kids out anywhere because we don't want to be on the roads with drunk people so we stayed at home and everyone came to us for a fun little get together.  We ate lots of different dips with chips and crackers and then we sat around and watched episodes of Arrested Development while the kids all played and had a good time.  At midnight, we had champagne or sparkling grape juice, made a toast to a healthy and prosperous new year, and blew noise makers.




Right before midnight, Shawn took the kids with all their noisemakers and hats through the house on a New Years parade.


 

Right after midnight, we took the kids outside to do some of those fun poppers that shoot confetti out when you pull the string.




It was perfect.  We are homebodies and very into full family events versus adult oriented New Years parties and such.

New Years day consisted of shopping for a dresser for the kids and a toddler bed for Rylie.  We ended up ordering Rylie's bed online, but bought a dresser for the kids at a furniture store here in Lawrence.



We even bought an ottoman for the living room and found a set of couches that we may go back for at the end of the month or beginning of next month.  I'm excited since this will be our first set of not hand me down living room furniture.  The current couch we have is older than I am, isn't very comfortable, and almost every cushion's leather is ripped open.

After shopping and getting the dresser loaded up with the piles of clothes that had been laying on their floor, we decided to watch a movie together, which turned into nap time for some members of the family.



I, for only the second time since Shawn and I have been together, made a delicious New Years ham.


Growing up, the ham was a tradition.  I always remember how delicious it was and eating everything with ham in it for the next week or so.

Sandra, over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom, let me know about a fun year long crochet challenge called Crochet Mood Blanket 2014.

I'm trying really hard to do a square a day.  I'm excited to try some new squares, learn new stitches and techniques, and have fun with it all.  Hopefully I can stick to it and not get sidetracked, as I tend to do.  I have my first 4 squares done for the first 4 days using a new square that I also learned from a tutorial Sandra linked to, called the starburst square.  I like it because it's simple and looks clean and beautiful.  I'm still debating on how I'll join it all and what exactly I'm going to do with patterns and stitches.  I'm not using a color guide, I'm just picking whatever color I'm particularly attracted to that day.  I'm sure my colors will change a lot with the season too.


Today was my father-in-law's birthday.  We all got together and ate a yummy taco dinner, watched the Chiefs in the playoffs (a sad loss for us Chiefs fans) and celebrated Andy's birthday.  Poor Rylie slept through the cake.  Don't worry, I got her a yummy piece of cake when she woke up.





Shawn was so excited by the gift we ordered his dad, but it didn't arrive at our house until after we had to leave for the party/game.  Shawn will have to drop it off on his way through town tomorrow afternoon when he heads to the airport.

Tomorrow Shawn leaves on his first trip of 2014.  It's luckily only a one night trip to Chicago, but we'll miss him none the less.

Alright, my husband should be back with groceries from his late night trip to the grocery store that was desperately needed, but also an excuse for him to go out and drive in the snow.  I need to get everything put away.  Goodnight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and