Skip to main content

Busy Busy Busy

This week has been really busy between all of our errands and our crazy work schedules.  I think our letter of the week will be postponed this week since we have yet to even start learning the letter B and it's already Wednesday.  We've started a new schedule in the house, where we get more done during the week so the weekend is more relaxing.  Obviously the work schedules are staying the same.  Shawn still works from 8ish to 5 and I still work from 5 to 9 unless Shawn gets off of work early for some reason or if he has to work late his mom is sometimes able to come out in the afternoon and watch Ben so I can go to work early and be done.  It's nice when she does this because Ben loves his Granny time and I like to be done with work early.

Because I work so late, it's often easier just to pick up food on the way home from work, but with Ben's peanut allergy, it really limits us to where we can go.  This gets expensive quick, it's not real healthy, and we get so burnt out so fast because we have about 5 restaurants that we use over and over.  We are trying to make better eating habits for our family and become healthier all around so I've decided that no matter how tired I am when I come home from work I need to make dinner.  I've done pretty good so far for the past week and a half now.  I've cooked every night, even if it's something small like mac and cheese and mini corn dogs. (I wasn't hungry that night and Shawn wasn't really hungry so I let pick one of  his favorites.)

Shawn has also started going to the gym.  Trying to find time for that was difficult so we've worked out a system.  Right now our schedule is as follows:

8 - 5: Shawn's at work
5 - 9: I'm at work
9:15ish: I get home
9:15 - 9:30ish: Shawn goes to the gym and I start fixing dinner, and get laundry going.  (wash 1 load of darks every night and 1 load of whites every other night)
10:30 - 11:00: Shawn comes home and we eat.  (He throws in his gym clothes when he gets home and starts the washer which I already have the soap in and everything set and ready to go.)
After dinner: do dishes, move laundry to dryer and do our chore for the evening (2 nights a week we vacuum the stairs, living room, and hall, and sweep the kitchen and 2 nights a week we clean the hall bathroom)
After chores:  We get bathing done and head to bed.

This schedule leads to late nights, but Ben and I usually get to sleep in until 9:30 or 10 in the mornings.  This works well unless I need the car for some reason during the morning because then we have to get up early and drive Shawn to work.  Life with one car can be hectic.  Today, Shawn bought me a nice coffee on the way to drop him off.  Thank goodness!

While Shawn's at work is when the laundry gets folded and crafts with Ben get done.  Ben and I also do dishes as we cook and eat our meals through out the day and we clean up all of his toys in the living room maybe 5 times a day.  Shawn normally gives Ben a big play bath while I'm at work in the evening.  Also, we've decided to change our library days to weekends so Shawn can go and enjoy the fun too.

On the weekends, we do all the normal dishes and laundry stuff, but both the bathrooms get cleaned, all the floors get vacuumed and the kitchen floor gets swept and mopped.  It's amazing when you keep up on it all how little time it takes.  I love it.  This is all our attempt and keeping up on things and getting in a routine so when the baby comes we won't be as overwhelmed.  I know people are laughing right now and calling us naive but I really think it will help if we have a routine already as a habit when the baby comes in less than 8 weeks.

Ben likes to help get things done.  Last night he actually got to really help make dinner.  We did Sweet and Sour Pork Chops.  He really liked helping and it made me realize just how big he is getting.












































 

Tonight, Shawn has to work a late and so Julie (Shawn's mom) will be coming out to spend the afternoon with Ben while I go to work.  This will hopefully make tonight a nice early night for us. 

How do all you other mom's make your life work?  I mean between family time, work, house work, etc, how do you make sure it all gets done?  If you don't get everything done, what seems to be neglected the most?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and