Skip to main content

A rant from the mother of a peanut allergic child

It's no secret that my son has a severe peanut allergy, in fact, almost everyone that knows me or my son knows this.  I'm sure that almost every parent can at some point understand what we go through.  Imagine that your child wants some video game or toy that you cannot afford at the time, but all of their friends have this game and they want it so bad.  Still, you have to say no.  The look on their face is so sad and it makes you want to do almost anything to get them that game/toy.  Now, imagine if it was something so small as a candy bar or piece of cake.  Everyone else is eating the birthday cake, but you have to tell your child no, because it may contain peanuts, or has been manufactured on equipment that manufactures peanut products, or because you just don't know.  It's heart breaking.  That's the life of a parent with a peanut allergy.

Yesterday, I came across a link on the Today show's facebook that infuriated me.

School Parents Want Girl With Peanut Allergy Sent Home

This child didn't ask for this allergy and I understand that the other kids in the class didn't either, but should she really be pushed out of school because parents find it inconvenient for their children to wash their hands?  Maybe I should home school my kids allergy or not, because in this house, we wash our hands before we touch food, after we go to the bathroom, after every time we blow our nose, etc.

What is the world coming to when parents are picking on the kid who is different in their children's class?  I remember when I was in elementary school and a boy came in that had autism.  I remember the teachers preparing us for a week or two before he started with any adjustments to make and to help us understand the disorder the disruptions it may cause.  He wasn't even in our class and the whole school was accommodating to this one child.  Peanut allergies are on the rise and an estimate 4% of children in the US have it.  Surely this one child wasn't the only one.

It infuriates me that we as a society can't accommodate for food allergies in certain situations.  I'm not asking you to make the changes in your home, but my child has a right to public education just as much as any other child.  Worst of all, these children are learning from their parents.  The parents who are trying to kick this 6 year old out of school are teaching their kids that someone who is different shouldn't be accepted and that they don't have to accommodate for anyone else in their lives.

Alright, I could go on for hours, but I won't...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and