Skip to main content

Sydney's First Day

Today was Sydney's first day of preschool.  She's growing up so fast!

Last night, Shawn got a phone call from his dad asking him to the Royals game tonight so of course he needed his good Royals shirt washed.  I had to wash and dry his shirt and shorts late last night. I didn't end up sleeping long but what sleep I did get was pretty hard.  This morning, Ben and I were up bright and early so I could get him dressed, fed, teeth brushed, and taken to school.

Ben is my sweet boy.  Every morning, I pull up in the drop off zone of the parking lot, he moves to front of the van, gives me a hug and a kiss, and gets out.  As he's getting out, I always tell him to have a good day, be great, and that I'll pick him up in a little bit.  Usually he'll say "Love you, Mom.  See you later, alligator." and of course I say "After a while, crocodile." as he's running past the van.

So, after dropping off Ben, I came home and started trying to get Sydney ready for school.



She wanted to wear her new pink outfit with a headband, but wanted her hair curled.  I plugged in the curling iron and after about 45 seconds, Sydney grabbed it and burned her hand.  Thank goodness it wasn't all the way hot yet, but I know it hurt.  I grabbed her an ice cube.  There were a few tears, but not for long.  I grabbed an ice pack from the freezer for her hand and then sat down to start curling her hair.  Sydney was fine.  We watched the Today show together while I curled her hair.  I was almost done, and she starts crying telling me her hand hurt.  I looked at it, and there was no blistering or discoloration and she still had it on the ice pack.  It didn't make sense that it was all of a sudden bothering her that bad again.  Before long she was screaming and sobbing so hard she couldn't breath.  Nothing I did would help.  I tried putting aloe on her hand, keeping the ice pack on it, etc.  After about 45 minutes, and re-straightening her hair (just looked better straight with it down) I realized that she was having a melt down because of nerves with starting school.  It took forever to calm her down and I began to question her going in today.

Finally, I got her to calm down and get ready for school.  She looked so cute and grown up.



She was so cute and nervous.  When the door opened to the classroom we went inside.  I showed her where to hang her back pack.  She gave me a hug and off she went outside to the playground.
She didn't look back.  I was so proud!  Rylie and I killed a little time downtown before coming back.  School today only lasted an hour.  Thursday will be a normal class. When I came back to get her, Teacher Megan said that Syd had lots of fun today.  She painted two pictures, made another picture by gluing lots of circles to another piece of paper, played outside, and played a game.  All in the hour that she was there.  She's so excited for Thursday.

We went out to lunch but her stomach was upset and she didn't really eat.  I think it was still nerves.  She doesn't do change well, and her dance teacher sent out an email this morning saying that she has breast cancer and will not be teaching classes.  She still wants to run the studio but wanted the parents to explain to the students in case they see her there.  This way they aren't scared when she might look different.  Sydney was very upset.  I told her that Mrs. Amanda was sick and won't be teaching her dance class for now but that she might stop by to check on them. This may have been part of Syd's problem this morning as well as the upset stomach at lunch.



We came home just long enough for the girls to fall asleep. I had to wake them pretty quickly and go pick up Ben from school.  We got to the front door just in time for Ben's class to start walking out.  He's so sweet.  The first thing he said was "Did Sydney have fun on her first day of school?" When we got home, he showed me his art work he did today, the prize he got for doing his homework this weekend, and sang the song to me they learned at school.  He didn't have any homework tonight, so while I got Sydney ready for dance class he was able to play Minecraft on his iPad.

It wasn't long, and we were on the road again.  This time we were on our way to Sydney's dance class.


Syd actually handled the new dance teacher thing well, but I think it's partially because they young girl that helps the teacher is the same.  Sydney loves her.


Shawn is still at the baseball game and I am about to put some kids in bed and hop in bed myself. I'm just exhausted after all day running around.  I was not meant to be up late at night and get up early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and