Skip to main content

No Time To Sit

I am beyond exhausted lately.  I've hardly been sleeping at all, which I kind of think is expected at this point. As of today, I'm 9 weeks from having our baby.  I'm uncomfortable and have no energy and to top it off, have been dealing with sick kiddos.  Last week, it was Ben, this week it's been Sydney and Rylie.  Ben wasn't too bad.  One day he was pretty sick, Sydney has had one day that she was pretty sick and a couple of days of a cough and runny nose, but Rylie, she's been sick since Sunday, and yesterday afternoon seemed to get at her worse.  She's got a fever and runny nose and she barely slept last night.  I'm hoping for a good nap today.

Our van had been in the shop since Friday the 31st and we finally got it back last night.  I was bummed it took so long, especially considering the trouble only having one car caused, but this morning, I took Ben to school and the girls to Starbucks in my van with heat, a seat I could move to where I needed it to be (I accidentally burnt out the motor when an umbrella got stuck under the seat) and Rylie's door opened and closed with the click of a button (the motor went out on that about a year ago).  It sucked being without my car, but when everything worked the way it was supposed to, it was all worth it.  We had a rental car last week and it was a rental car I really enjoyed, I should point out, but there is something about your own car, where you know how to turn on the headlights and open the gas tank door that is just wonderful.  I did learn that I really want a new stereo for the car.  One with blue tooth, but in the whole scheme of things, that's not really a big deal.

We had to take the rental car back last Friday and by the time it was due, Shawn was still on a plane getting home.  A friend came out and helped to take the rental back, but cleaning out all of our things, fell on me. Usually I'm on top of my game, but with everything going on in my life right now, and maybe a touch of pregnancy brain, I'm quite flustered and forgetful.  I ended up forgetting to get the stuff out of the trunk of the rental.  Luckily all it was, was a roadside car kit, and our umbrella stroller, but it's quite frustrating none the less.  I called the rental car place and they told me they didn't have them although the cars are cleaned thoroughly when returned.

This weekend we spent our time at home.  Usually we make a trip to Kansas City, but with the five of us, the Sunfire is not the most comfortable car.  We did venture out to the movies and saw the Lego Movie.  It was so super cute.  I was bummed though, as it was a packed theater and Rylie didn't do well with the kid in front of us turning around and such so I had to take her out a couple of times, resulting in me missing the very end.  Oh well, tis life with little ones.  What I saw, I really enjoyed and Ben loved it.  He's all about Legos lately anyway.

Monday, Shawn took Ben to school.  It was my first time not being the one to take him, and it was a little sad, but Shawn needed to know what to do anyway, since when I have the baby, it will all be on him to drop off and pick up the kids.  My sister-in-law let me borrow her car to pick Ben up from school since Shawn works about an hour away and had the car with him.  Thank goodness for my in-laws because I don't know what I would have done with out them.  I offered to walk but Shawn and my mother-in-law quickly turned that down as the sidewalks here aren't really clean (all snow and ice covered, even where they have been shoveled), the girls were feeling under the weather, the high was about 12 degrees with a windchill of 0, and they didn't feel I needed to be pushing the girls in the double stroller by myself, this pregnant, even it is only 2 blocks or so each way.

I made a roast for dinner in the crockpot and several roasted veggies in the oven.  Shawn's aunt was coming over for dinner, and I wasn't sure if she would eat the meat, because I wasn't sure if she ate red meat, so I wanted to make sure she had a lot of options.  I roasted potatoes and carrots, lemon brussels sprouts, and broccoli, and made a big fruit salad.  Getting ready to serve dinner, I pulled the roast out of the crock pot and noticed that it looked funny.  I touched it with my finger, and it was cold.  My outlet had tripped during the cooking process and needed to be reset.  I had no idea and now my beautiful roast was nothing more than a bacteria breading ground.  I cursed a few times, cried a little, and then we went out for dinner.

Yesterday was a super busy day, so I needed the car.  Shawn ended up taking the bus to his job.  The girls and I took Ben to school and came home to get Sydney ready for her school.  When we took her to school is when I realized that I left the stroller in the rental.  Rylie and I dropped off Sydney, paid her monthly tuition, and took off to Walmart since we NEED to have a stroller.  I can't constantly chase Rylie around in public.  I'm too worried about her and busy streets.

When we got home, it was time for me to get started on Ben's costume for his animated alphabet dress up party.  I didn't have much time since I had to go pick up Sydney in about 45 minutes, but I was able to round up some things and gather my ideas.  If you aren't familiar, where most people aren't, the animated alphabet is made up of all the different sounds the letters make, not just the regular alphabet.  It's designed to help kids so they can read sooner, understanding that the letters have different sounds in different words and letter combinations.  Each "letter" has a character and a song to go with it.  Ben chose to be Sheriff Shadrack who shaves with sharp shark teeth.  His letter or sound was sh.


I also managed to hang a few more of the kitchen pictures I've been wanting to put up.  My house is always a work in progress.  I'm constantly finding things I like here and there.  I know it's a lot of things on the walls, but when you can't paint, you have to customize the best way you know how.  Shawn even put in a new faucet.  Our sprayer had a leak so we talked to the landlord and then went to pick one out.  He did a great job and I'm so in love with the faucet!






In the afternoon, I went to pick up Ben.  This week is the book fair at his school.  There was a book he saw on Monday that he really wanted (a Lego Movie book with a Lego character to play with) so I went in to buy it for him.  I love kids books anyway.  I'm a book-aholic myself but my weakness is children's books.  Almost every book my kids want they have and almost every book I ever loved as a kid, my kids have.  I want to instill the love and importance of reading in my kids that my husband and I have, even with all the TV, computers, video games, and iPads we have here.

Ben had his class Valentine party and came out of the school with a bag full of candy and valentines.  He felt really special, and that made me feel good.  Also, he got to hand out his Spiderman valentines and pencils that he picked out.  He was so excited.  We came home and went through all of his loot.  Sydney was really jealous but her school Valentine party is Thursday.  We need to get her valentines done today to get ready for that.

Sydney has dance on Tuesday evenings about 30 or 45 minutes away, so when we come home from Ben's school, it's time to start getting ready for dance. Her recital costume came in and she got to try it on.  It was so cute!  I'm in love with her costume and she told me she felt so pretty in it.



When we came home, we ate dinner, and then it was time to finish up on Ben's costume.  I only wish we had a hat for him to wear but the only cowboy hat type option we had was hot pink from Sydney's dress up clothes.  It did come out cute though.  I cut a star out of felt and sewed it on to my spring rain trench coat.  It has short sleeves so they looked like long sleeves on Ben.  I glued felt to each side of a piece of card board that was cut out like a giant shark tooth and put yarn through it so he could wear it around his neck.  Then I decorated a piece of cardboard with felt, colored it with permanent marker, and sewed it to his belt so he had a big belt buckle.



This morning, Shawn left for LA.  He'll be back on Friday afternoon or early evening.  Friday is Valentine's Day, and more importantly, it's Rylie's 2nd birthday!  I have some present wrapping to do, a cake to order for Friday, and cookies to order for her party on Saturday.  Ben is out of school tomorrow and Friday for parent teacher conferences.  Sydney has school tomorrow, but only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays anyway so hopefully I'll have plenty of time to get done all of my stuff.  I'm just exhausted.

It's been a fun week for the kids, and I'm sure will continue to be, but for me, it's busy and exhausting.  I'm hanging in there.  This is what I'm here for, taking care of my family and home.  I want to make sure my kids have every opportunity to do what they want to and that I can make every experience the best for them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and