Skip to main content

What a crazy, wonderful, life we live

I can't believe how hectic things are here.  I'm really enjoying it all though, and I must say that I have the two most precious children in the whole world and they keep me well entertained.


























This week the weather was so hot that I cut out park trips all but two days.  Between the air conditioner being out on the car and the heat both inside and out of the car, it was just too uncomfortable and probably not very safe either.


























Tuesday, Shawn mowed the lawn at our old house.  I can't even begin to tell you how tall the grass was there.  It hadn't been mowed since we moved out.  Our mower was trying to cause trouble as well.

Wednesday, we had our biweekly dinner with our friends Tim and Rebekah, but this time we did it at our house.  I made the tortellini salad since Shawn was so eager to show it off to people.  It was really good (not to toot my own horn or anything)!  Also, on Wednesday, my best friend Lauren and her husband Ben finally got to take their sweet little baby boy, Cullen, home from the hospital.  He was born a week and a half earlier and had oxygen problems since birth.  Thank goodness he's fine now and home safe with an extremely loving family.

Thursday, poor Shawn had to mow our lawn.  It was definitely in need of a good mowing.  Not as bad as the old house, but pretty bad.  I believe it had been about 3 weeks since it was mowed before that.

Friday, Rebekah brought her and Tim's dog, Sushi, over for us to puppy sit for the weekend.  She was so cute and cuddly (I'm talking about Sushi, not Rebekah haha).  She stayed through this afternoon when Tim came to pick her up.  Ben was so sad when she left.  He would not stop crying and telling me he wanted "Shoo-ee" to come back.  When Rebekah came by to drop off the dog, she brought a book for me to borrow called The Gorgeously Green Diet.  I started reading it and have really enjoyed all that I've read so far.  You should probably look for a review on that book shortly.





































Saturday was Shawn's company picnic.  The food was good and the even had homemade ice cream there.  Ben got to eat dessert somewhere!  That was really exciting for me and I'm sure to him too.  They had a big inflatable water slide there that Ben decided he'd maybe try.  He made it about half way before he decided it was too high and he didn't want to do it anymore.  Shawn was carrying him up, and in Ben's struggle to turn them around, they both fell down the slide.  I think Ben really enjoyed it.  I had a good time talking with Meagan, who is a stay at home mom of a 3 year old boy and a 5 month old boy, and Emmalee, who is a photographer and mother of a 13 month old boy.  Both are really neat women.

Tonight we went on a lovely little walk downtown.  I love our downtown.  It's nice, beautiful, and really reminds me of everything great about Lawrence.  It's the small and local businesses that really excite me and our downtown is full of them.














































Also, another major event for Ben this week.  He got a large bomb pop from the ice cream truck.  It was his very first time getting anything from the ice cream truck.  Any mother of a child with a food allergy knows the struggle to step outside of your comfort zone to try new things.  The label and the ice cream man assured me that it was safe, and Ben has had them before from the grocery store, but it's still a little scary.  He looked so cute with that giant bomb pop.

























Looking at my day planner for the new week that is beginning, and it appears that we're going to be busy again.  We're going to work on the letter U, try to make it to the park in the mornings, a couple of 4th of July crafts, work on some new recipes, try to come up with healthy alternatives for old recipes, read this book, and work on my own project.  We get our first organic fruits and vegetables delivery Tuesday also.  I'm excited for it.

Alright, back to another busy week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and