Skip to main content

A "Lazy" Day

Yesterday, Rylie woke up with a little cold.  She wasn't what I would say is really sick, she just was a little stuffed up and had a little cough.  Today, she woke up a little better than yesterday and I woke up with a major headache and body aches.  I didn't feel terrible, just sick enough that I felt like having a lazy day where I only did the basics and mostly just watched TV.  Of course I did the dishes and laundry, the usual daily tasks, but the extras didn't happen.  No floors were cleaned and none of the house was dusted.

Shawn worked from home most of the day.  While we didn't get to see him much, it was still nice, just knowing he was here.  He traveled yesterday and was exhausted, so he got to sleep in a little bit this morning, then he had an onsite meeting, a couple of minutes from the house, and then came home to do some work and a call upstairs in our bedroom.

This morning, I felt the need to feel pretty and the best way to do that, is to paint my nails.  I love to have pretty nails.


In our house, all of the bedrooms are in the back, feature that I absolutely love!  The kids, who were playing in their room came out talking about how they couldn't see Maya in the backyard from the windows. I told them not to worry, that she was there they just couldn't see her.  They kept insisting she wasn't there.  Maya has pushed the fence apart in the front corner of the yard a little bit but doesn't usually leave the back yard, especially since when she does she can't get back in.  After talking to the kids multiple times, I thought I'd better go take a look.  Sure enough she wasn't back there.  I got my shoes on and grabbed the leash, intending to go run the neighborhood looking for Maya, only to open the door and find her laying on bed by the front door.  There are no trees in the backyard and since it was quite warm today (in the 90s) she must have been looking for shade.  At least she stayed here instead of running off.  She really is a good dog.


The kids played with their toys in their room and the play room.  This means that we had blocks scattered everywhere, dress up clothes strewn about, and lots of miscellaneous toys everywhere.



Ben cracks me up, because he likes to dress up Sydney in her dress up clothes.  By dress her up, I mean pick out clothes he wants her to wear and have me put them on her.  It's like she's his own personal Barbie doll or something.

I can't forget nap time.  That is a very important part of our day here.  Sydney and Rylie nap while Ben "rests" by watching TV in his bed.


After the kids woke up from their naps and Shawn finished up work, we decided to walk to the park.



We have an elementary school with two good sized playgrounds and a smaller play area about half a mile from our house.  I'm sure every parent loves to wear their kids out so they hopefully sleep well at night.  There is no better way to wear out your child than to walk them half a mile, run them ragged at the park, and then walk them half a mile home.  We use this time to talk to the kids about what all we see, and teach them things like looking both ways before we cross the street.  We also look for animals like bunnies and squirrels as well as birds along the way.

At the park, the kids have a blast.  Sometimes they make new friends too.  My kids have never met a stranger and Ben wants to be friends with EVERYBODY.





Shawn was pushing Ben on the swings and for some reason Ben let go with one hand and ended up doing a weird flip and face planting in the mulch.  Now, why they use mulch on these playgrounds is beyond me.  It seems that the recycled rubber tires would be better for the environment and safer for the kids.  The mulch got in Ben's mouth and also gave him several little cuts on his forehead.  After giving him some water to help get that yucky mulch out of his mouth, he was absolutely fine.  We made it through the whole incident with no tears, and even managed to get him to get back on the swings.



Before long, it was time to come home.


When we got home, Shawn had to go to basketball so I ordered some pizza (I know, bad girl, didn't follow the meal plan), sat down to feed Rylie and relaxed with the kiddos while watching last night's Amish: Out of Order.  I think the kids are beginning to become interested with the Amish like I am.  It was only a matter of time, considering I watch a lot on TV about them and read about them a lot.  I think we share a lot of interests with our mothers and fathers when you grow up with them.  Growing up, my mom was very into what I call Little House on the Prairie times.  I often tell my husband that I wish we lived then.  I think that was an interest I gained from my mom and one of many I hope to pass on to my children.  It's funny, my husband loves sci fi and all these things about the future while I'm so obsessed with the past.

As I sit here typing this, Rylie is laying next to me on the couch, the kids are sleeping in their beds and Shawn is in the shower upstairs, getting ready for bed.  I reflect on the wonderful "lazy" day we had here, and am thankful for all I've been given.  I'm so crazy about my family and wouldn't change a thing about my life.

Alright, I'm going to pack up my husband's lunch for tomorrow and then head to bed.  Maybe I'll have more for you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and