Skip to main content

Eureka Springs and Table Rock Lake Vacation Part 2

Ok, I'm finally back to finish my vacation post. Where was I?  Oh yes, it was our last day in Eureka Springs and we were watching the storms roll in.

We were getting ready to leave Eureka Springs for Table Rock Lake, but before we left we had one more fun thing to do.  We went to take a train ride through the Ozark Mountains.  It was one car pulled by a locomotive.








It was really neat because we got to watch the locomotive drive up, switch tracks turn around on this turn table thing and then drive down to switch tracks again and connect to us.  While this was happening, it was storming like crazy.  Pouring rain, thunder, lightening, hail, etc.  We had to put up the windows in the train car and it was so hot.  Until the locomotive got connected to us we had no power for the fans, but it was still fun.



 Once the train was connected, off we went.  It took us out for about 15 or 20 minutes.


The locomotive disconnected again and drove off to get turned around using the wye.  When it drove by on the side track the conductor instructed us to take our change and place it on the track for the locomotive to run over and smash.  It was pretty cool.  I'd never done it before, although I had a bunch of pennies that had been run over by trains when I was younger.





 We took pictures of us by the car.




Ok, so they aren't great pictures, but they are the only ones we have.  I can't get over the way Shawn is standing. Haha!

Then, after the locomotive reconnected to us, we headed back to the station.






After the train ride, we headed towards Shellknob for some fun lake time.  The Ozarks are beautiful!





After getting settled in at the lake house, we went out to swim off the dock.  I was surprised at how unafraid my big kids were.  As I looked up from setting my stuff down on a dry locker I see both Ben and Sydney jumping of the end of the swimming dock.  Of course they had their life jackets on.  I don't let my kids anywhere near the lake or docks with out life jackets on.

They loved swimming in the lake!







After a day of swimming, we went up to the house for dinner and fun.  Shawn and I played Catch Phrase with Shawn's brother Chris, Chris' girlfriend Morgan, and Shawn's cousins Zach and Randi. We played girls against boys.  It was soooo much fun!  The kids were running around like crazy and watching a movie while we were playing the game.

After a long day full of fun, the kiddos went to bed and crashed hard.


The whole next day was filled with swimming, boating, and fun!  Ben even went tubing with out us even asking him if he wanted to.  He made me so proud.










It did storm while we were out, so we hurried to the docks and sat in the boat while the storm cleared enough so that we could get back up to the house on the golf cart.









That night we attempted to do my birthday thing.  It was sort of haphazard and a mess which left my feelings hurt, but at least the kids cared and were involved.  Zach was pretty funny throwing jokes about my age.  The best part was that he's older than I am and his birthday is a week or two after mine.






Sunday, we swam a little more, cleaned up our messes, packed our bags, and headed home.  Of course we had to stop at Brahms.  It's our favorite fast food place out there, mostly our favorite for the ice cream.

I just love how gorgeous it is down there.






The kids and I slept most of the way home, which was probably nice on Shawn.  He got to run the radio and enjoy a little quiet time which doesn't usually happen while the kids and I are around.

We really did have a wonderful vacation.  I just wish that we could have stayed longer at both Eureka Springs and Table Rock Lake.  Two days at either place is not long enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and