Skip to main content

New Years-ish Post and Morning Frustrations!

Good Morning and Happy Friday!


I sure hope the new year finds everyone well. Every year I look back on the year before. This year, I don't really want to do all that.  While it wasn't a completely awful year, it wasn't a great one either. We've lost loved ones. I went to two funerals this year for my only surviving Grandparents. Rylie went to kindergarten and Scottie started preschool. That's about the only things that really happened at all....

Here is my top 9 from this year on my instagram. It's pretty good at catching some highlights of the year.


And the kids Christmas picture


I also always say that I hope to get back to my blog. I'm not going to say that, even though I intend to. I just feel that actions speak louder than words. I'm back to videos, back to my blogs, trying to catch up my book and recipe updates. I'm also still reading. We blew past both of our goals last year. 60 recipes completed in our 52 in 2017 and 33 or so books in my 24 in 2017.

Alright, as you can tell, I've been in a bit of a funk. I honestly don't know what it is. I just find myself feeling overwhelmed by work lately. I run kids to and from school and dance, art classes, swimming lessons, and soccer practice and games (in the spring and fall). I'm run down and I've done that thing that everyone warns moms not to do... Let their kids become their life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being with them and love that they are happy and getting to experience all of these fun things. It's just that this year has been a preview of what will come in another year and a half when Scottie goes to kindergarten. Right now, she's in preschool two mornings a week. Same with next year, but after that it will be all day, 5 days a week. I'll be by myself. Trust me when I say that there is enough housework to keep my occupied, but my life will seem so lonely during the days. I don't have a college degree or even an idea of what I'd like to do with my life. I've put all my life and love into being a mom.  I just feel like I should start to figure out what to do with my days when the kids are at school.  Who knows. Maybe I'm just dreading all my kids being gone. It's like a mid-life crisis... a mom-life crisis.

Ok, I just need to enjoy the time I have with Scottie at home and enjoy my quality time I have with the kiddos in general. I'm too worried about 2 years away.

So I came on here this morning, wanting to type up a post, frustrated with our morning routine. I'm going to get on with it now, because it's a constant source of frustration for me.

Warning! This is a major mom vent!


Every morning, I turn into yelling mom. I start nicely but by the third or fourth time of repeating myself, I'm yelling.

"Get dressed!"
"Eat your breakfast!"
"Brush your teeth!"
"Get your shoes on!"
"Where is your coat!"
"Get your back pack!"
"Get in the car!"

It's exhausting! I wake up the kids with what should be plenty of time at 7 am. School starts at 8am and I try to leave the house by 7:45. I've been packing the kids snacks and filling their water bottles the night before. I have them put their backpacks in the kitchen at the counter the night before. I had them try laying their clothes out the night before.

I get up, wake them up, and then immediately get them a quick and easy breakfast before I go get dressed myself. There is no reason for them not to be ready. Surely, I'm not the only one struggling to get my kids out the door. As I'm running with the kids to the school door, I sure feel like I am.

Every morning, around 7:52, I'm yelling for the kids to get in the car. By 7:55 we are finally all buckled in and driving towards the school and by 7:57 or so we are parking and running to the school doors. All the while, I'm trying to keep the kids moving and telling them to move those buns. It's exhausting, and not because I'm running into the school. I actually think all the running may get me into shape. Lord knows I need that.

Ok, enough Debbie Downer.

Tonight, we are celebrating Shawn's Dad, Andy's birthday, which was yesterday. We are having dinner at Shawn's sister, Kelly's house. Kelly and her husband are making Cioppino. They make an amazing Cioppino! I'm making rosemary biscuits and homemade bread.  I need to get on with it. I'm not sure I have everything I need to make the biscuits so I'll actually have to pop out for a minute or two. Scottie needs to get dressed pretty soon so we can go.

I also have a massive pile of laundry that needs folding and to wash the cushion from the chair in Shawn's office. Cleo has peed in it.  I'm struggling with puppy potty training.  Scottie also needs some attention. Maybe we'll do a craft or something.

Alright, I'm out for now. See you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and