Skip to main content

Thursday in the Life

Thursday... Another day that I was unable to get our morning routine... I'm telling you, mornings are the hardest part of my day.

After the kids were all dropped off at school, I made a Starbucks run. We were out of eggs for making breakfast and I had a sink full of dirty dishes, so Shawn suggested picking up breakfast and coffee. The line at the drive through is always insanely long, but they move you through pretty fast and the people at my Starbucks are always super friendly.


When I got home from Starbucks, I realized that a bunch of my decorations had gotten tangled up in the trees because of the wind, one of my cute little ghosts had blown out of the tree, and I had two new skeleton mermaids to put in the skeleton/ghoul tree out front. I went out to handle that before sitting down to enjoy my Venti Mocha with 2 pumps of Pumpkin Spice. I know how awful it is for me, but try it. It's amazing. I also noticed that the pumpkin Scottie had picked from her school pumpkin patch field trip was starting to mold a bit, so I moved it outside.






I'm all about setting up a hygge home, which means lots of cozy blankets and candles, so when I came inside I got started lighting my candles, turning on my salt lamp, my lanterns, and my Nightmare Before Christmas lights.


And I sat down to drink my coffee and watch The Today Show.


I think Lena has taken it upon herself to be my caretaker. She never lets me out of her sight and is often close enough to me she can reach out and touch me if she or I want.


I started working on the day in the life Tuesday blog post.


After I finished that post and got it up and published, I decided it was time to make myself presentable. Time to brush my hair, put my contacts in, and put some makeup on.


After I was done, Shawn came in and asked if I had 5 minutes to go down the street for a quick Pokémon raid. We went down to do that together and came home since I had a meeting to get to, and he had work meetings to do. These little impromptu things we do together make me really love that he works from home.


At 12:30 I had a meeting at the girls school to discuss Scottie's IEP. She has some speech things that make her hard to understand and she's been in speech for the last year and a half or so.


I am happy to report that she met all of her goals for the first trimester of school and is now meeting 2 times a week. We're hoping for more improvements, but I'm really proud of Scottie for her hard work and progress.

When I came home from the meeting, Shawn was making a cup of tea and asked if I'd like one. Instead of going with my usual Earl Grey I picked a green tea I had in the cupboard that is supposed to give you a brain boost.


While I was enjoying my tea, our cleaning lady got here. I know how that sounds, but it's really not that at all. We use a service that sends the same girl to our house every week. She dusts the main living areas, cleans the floors in the main living areas and stairs, and cleans our bathrooms. It's everything we used to do on our weekends. Shawn got me this for our anniversary almost 2 years ago now and it just gave us back time on our weekends. I love it.


While she was here, I took care of the sink full of dishes.


And started a loaf of garlic rosemary bread in the bread machine.


I started working on a project from Scottie's teacher for her classroom. I like to help out as much as I can. It's usually things like putting packets together or cutting stuff out.  That's what this one is. Cutting out laminated circles.


I only got a few pages cut out before it was time to pick up the girls from school. When we got home our cleaning lady was leaving. The kids love her and she loves our kids. She's a college student from a nearby college. She shares the same birthday as Ben and occasionally leaves little gifts. This time it was a candle with a mermaid tale in it.


While we were outside saying goodbye to her, Ben's buss pulled up.


As you can see, Ben doesn't have far to go when he gets off of the bus.

Once I finally got the kids inside, it became the usual struggle to get them to put their backpacks away in their rooms and put their shoes and coats away before snacks at the kitchen table.



Scottie got to check out a library book at school. Since she's in kindergarten, this is only the second time she's gotten to bring one home this school year.


Of course, she picked a Piggy and Gerald book. They are a favorite in our house. In fact, Rylie has every Piggy and Gerald book, and most of the Pigeon books memorized. That's what this smug look is all about.


Scottie was supposed to have her last soccer practice at home 6:30, but it's getting dark so early now that they asked to move it to 4. We were able to make that but it seems most other kiddos weren't, so they cancelled the practice giving us an unexpected open Thursday evening.

I got our soup going in the instant pot. Since I cut up a bunch of kale, I cut up some really small and took it down to give to Pyro. Ben threw a few mealworms in there for him too.




While dinner cooked, Sydney read. She's currently reading Super Fudge by Judy Blume. Rylie and Scottie relaxed a bit on their iPads, and Ben did math homework and studied for his socials studies test.



The beauty of soup in an instant pot is that it's done in about 20 minutes. It was so good.


After dinner we made a quick run to Costco. Now, we don't have one in our town. The closest one is about 45 minutes away from our house, so it's not really quick. We get most of our staples for the week there.




The kids keep begging for this angel statue. As a Doctor Who fan, it creeps me out. I can't do it.

The ride home is always a packed in ride. Because it was so late, at least three kids fell asleep in the car on the way home. We moved them inside and then spent the rest of the night bringing in our groceries and putting stuff away.


After putting everything away, Shawn and I got ready for bed and then he watched Star Trek on his iPad while I fell asleep reading twice and only made it about 5 pages before giving up.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and