Skip to main content

Friday in the Life

Ok, since I was able to include the bulk of our morning routine this post might be a bit long.

Friday...

The morning started with my alarms going off at 6:30. I don't usually roll out of bed until 6:50 though. When I get up, I start waking up Rylie and Scottie who have often made their way up to my room and are sleeping on the floor. I don't turn on the bedroom light just yet though, because Shawn sleeps for another 10 minutes. We do this so we can stagger our morning potty trip. We don't need one of us doing a pee dance while the other one gets to go. After I start waking up Rylie and Scottie, I go down to Syd's room. I usually turn her light on to get her moving.


After I wake her up I drop in, in Ben's room to wake him, using the Alexa in there. While the kids are all starting to get out of bed and dressed, I take the time to get some clothes on (not usually my clothes for the day, but something) and occasionally put my contacts in. I put my shoes on too so that's one less thing to worry about on my way out the door. Usually by this point, Shawn is up and pulling Rylie off of the floor. She never wants to get up on a school day. Any other day she's up nice and early but not for school.


When I go back downstairs I fix the kids some breakfast. As you can see from this picture, Rylie is always the last one at the table and is usually nowhere near ready when she does sit down. Also, she takes the longest to eat. Are you seeing the pattern here? Rylie really doesn't want to go to school.

Time to make some coffee.


By this point, while the kids are finishing up eating, I usually start some laundry, finish doing anything I need to do to get ready to take the kids to school, filling water bottles, packing snacks and other things in backpacks, and signing Sydney's planner. It has to be initialed every day as well as have her reading minutes logged every day.



Ben leaves the house around 7:35 so at 7:30 I'm usually yelling "Does everyone have deodorant on? Any one who is done eating needs to brush their teeth! You have to put on socks on with your shoes!"


Shawn takes Ben in the mornings when he's in town. Ben's school starts at the same exact time as the girls' school does but it's a bit further away. When Shawn's out of town, Ben rides the bus to school and he usually rides it home, except on Mondays because he stays after for model car club.

The rest of the morning is me forcing Rylie to get ready for school. Lots of yelling and repeating myself. I do the girls' hair in that last 10 minutes as well. Sydney doesn't always let me do something to her hair as she likes it down, but Rylie always gets a side pony, or high pony, and Scottie might get anything depending on time, braids, pigtails, side ponies, high ponies, buns, messy buns, it's always different with her. Sydney's usually a good help in the mornings rounding up anything that the girls can't find, like hair brushes, coats, and water bottles.




When everyone is finally ready we take off for school. 



After I dropped the girls off I ran to Starbucks. I know, I know... I already made coffee. It was 37 degrees and I was cold. Also, Shawn wanted their egg white turkey bacon sandwich for breakfast.


I couldn't believe how beautiful the morning was, even though it was so cold. I never get tired of this view.


When I got home, I sat down and started working on my blog posts.


Shawn came down even though he was on a call. He always jokes that he has the parasite that makes him love the cats more than he should. He can't walk past them without stopping to give them scratches behind the ears and talk to them in baby talk.


After I got done with the blog posts, I was supposed to go work on dishes and laundry, but who can do anything when Love Actually is on? It's my absolute favorite movie of all time. I HAD to sit and watch it.


After it was over, it was time to get to work. The dishes were overflowing, the laundry hampers were all full and the cats had knocked clean folded laundry into a basket full of dirty laundry, so I had to rewash it all. Sometimes these cute kitties can be total douche nuggets. I put on the book I've been listening to on Audible, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, bleached the sink, watered my plants in the kitchen window, and did more laundry.






While I was watching Love Actually and getting to work at home, Sydney's friend's mom had lunch at their school. These are pictures she took of our girls at lunch.



After I got done with all the work that needed doing, it was about time to pick up some kids which meant making myself presentable. I needed to get dressed, put on some makeup and do my hair.


Pick up is always adventurous. I don't go through the pickup line. I park on the side and walk up as I usually chit chat with other moms during this time. When we leave, I have to round up my kids from the play ground which usually has at least one kid crying to stay because she wants to play with a friend, and at least one crying to leave because she has to pee. Then when we get to the car, Scottie and Rylie usually race and whoever gets in the car first locks the door so nobody else can get in, except I have the key and let us in. Then there is a fight over who gets to ride up front. I know that none of them should be sitting up front, but we don't ever leave while it's still crowded and we only live a few blocks down the road. Also, my passenger seat airbag is controlled by weight and none of them make it turn on, so there's another bonus. Any way, we alternate Sydney, then Rylie, then Scottie, and back to Sydney again.


About 2 minutes after we walked in, so did Ben.


The kids all ate a quick snack and then we lounged on the couch watching The Masked Singer on Hulu. We've been keeping up with Season 2 but hadn't watched Season 1, so we're catching up on that.

Friday nights are a Sydney ballet night. This week Shawn and Ben went to the gym and then joined us.




As you can see, when class got out, the hallway got empty fast. Sydney and Rylie went straight to the lost and found boxes to try on toe shoes. We made them take them off pretty quick, but these girls cannot wait for their turn to get fitted for their own. They've got a few more years to go.

After dance, we walked to a restaurant to eat some dinner and then went on a small walk.







When we got home it was time to get ready for bed. Scottie fed the cats first though.


Ben and Sydney have been really good about reading before bed.


Ben always calls me on his Alexa before bed to tell me goodnight. Friday night, he came up as soon as he got out of the shower, for a goodnight hug.


Shawn usually snuggles the girls for 5 minutes or so, for them to fall asleep.



After all the kids were in bed, it was my turn to get ready for bed. Shawn told me he'd be up pretty quickly.


After I got out of the shower and all ready for bed, Shawn still wasn't upstairs and I could hear the TV in the basement still on. I went down to see what was going on and he was in the middle of putting together our treadmill. It was taking much longer than he thought it would. This stuff always happens to Shawn with time. Something he thinks will only take 20 minutes takes 2 hours easily.


I stayed downstairs to help him, but mostly just picked up trash from the packaging while he worked. Scottie woke up and came downstairs. I took her to the bathroom and then she curled up on the couch in the living room upstairs and fell back to sleep.


While Shawn and I were taking out the trash and the recycling, I realized it was so cold I could see my breath again. I could also see stars though. It was the first time in days that we didn't have serious cloud cover and could see the pretty stars.


We locked up the house, picked up Scottie, and went upstairs. Shawn put Scottie back in her bed, and stayed with her until she fell back to sleep. I was asleep before he ever came back to our room.



Comments

Luludou said…
Loved reading about your day! You accomplish so much. You have a beautiful family.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and