French Toast

I seem to be lacking in my recipe posting lately, so tonight, I'll be posting a few of our family favorites.

This recipe came from the Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook.  Growing up, my mother's copy was like the cooking Bible.  As I grew older, I learned it was her mother's cooking Bible as well.  When I moved out, my parents bought me this coveted book.  It's still a well loved resource, but mostly for this one recipe.

French Toast


Ingredients:

4 eggs (beaten)
1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Bread of your choice (I like to use homemade bread, but pretty much any kind will do.)
Butter or cooking spray

Directions:

1.  In a shallow bowl ( I like to use a pie plate normally) beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2.  Dip bread slices into the egg mixture coating both sides.  If you are using a thick or dense bread, I recommend letting it soak for a minute
3.  In a skillet or on a griddle melt enough butter to coat the bottom of the pan or spray with cooking spray.
4.  Put bread slices in the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
5.  Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have used all of the bread.
Serve warm.
We like ours with butter and syrup, it's also really good with homemade apple pie filling.

Comments

Popular Posts