Skip to main content

Where Have I Been?

I've been having the best times lately.  I have been spending a lot of time with the kids, as always since I'm a stay at home mom, but it never gets old.  The husband and I have been communicating better than we have in a long time.  I'm not saying we have been having problems or even that our communication was ever bad, but when we have those little tiffs that every couple has every now and then, we've been better lately at solving them with real solutions and not just band aids.  For the first time in all my 25 years, I can honestly say that I feel like an adult.  I know I am one, but it's just like on your birthday, when someone says "Do you feel older?" and you really want to know what they think the difference between how 24 and 25 feels, is.

Easter was amazing even though we got really behind and lunch/dinner was served about an hour and half late.  Who cares!  It's the holiday!  You get to be around the ones you love, and this only meant, more time to chit chat and catch up.  Hopefully, I'll get a separate Easter post done in the next day or two.

Now, we get to the not so good things.  It's really all just one big not so good thing...  My laptop died.  We believe it may have been the hard drive.  I know you're thinking that sucks but it's not the end of the world.  Only, it is, kinda.  All of my pictures from the last 2 years-ish are on that hard drive.  The pictures from Sydney's birth, many holidays and just lots of important pictures are on that hard drive.  Right now, the hard drive is sitting in my freezer and I'm praying that the photos will be recoverable.  In the meantime, instead of blogging and facebooking from my couch or kitchen table, I'll be doing it all on the desk top in our office.  It's like a little field trip... sorta.  I'm trying to stay positive.

Ok, back to something that is positive.  I've been reading the Girl who... series by Stieg Larson and somewhere in the beginning of the last book, I just got stuck.  I didn't have the urge to read like I once had, and when I did read, I'd forget everything immediately.  I decided it was maybe time to pick another book and come back to that one later, since reading is a passion of mine and one that I seem to be passing on to my kids.  I've started reading Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee by Hoda Kotb.  I watch the Today show every morning and the 4th hour is my favorite so I knew I would have to read this book.  She is such an amazing woman with an uplifting story.  I can tell you that I've read about half of the book in just a few days (for a slow reader like me, that's a lot) and I've laughed and cried... a ton!  If you want a story with lots of lessons about life, friendships, and reaching your goals, this is the book for you.  Even if you don't know who she is, you should read it.

Thanks to all this rain we've been getting, my plants in the flower bed out front are coming up like crazy!  A down side to this rain is that the weeds are also coming up like crazy and it's way to muddy, rainy, and cold for me to go out there and get rid of them... I need a nice warm and dry day so I can take care of those little garden intruders, transplant some of our plants from elsewhere in the yard into the flower bed, and finally get our tomatoes and peppers planted and sitting out in the yard.  I'm excited!

Last weekend, we went to the Farmer's Market, which is one of our favorite Saturday morning activities, and bought all kinds of good stuff.  Fresh red lettuce, spinach, farm fresh eggs, honey, plum jam, and tomato and bell pepper plants.  Maybe next weekend we can get some herbs and maybe an heirloom tomato or something.  I'm so on this planting bandwagon.

I'm also proud to say that the Tiemann family are recycling and have been for about a month or so.  I know, not something people usually celebrate, but I'm all for making the Earth a better and healthier place for us all to live.  Very soon, I believe we will start composting.  I'm also interested in making our own beer and/or wine although that's not for the environment, just another fun project for my husband and I to work on together.

Alright, I've gone on for long enough and the kids are waking up from their naps.  More later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Long Time, No Talk

 Hey!! It’s been so long since I’ve come on here with anything other than recipes. Sadly, I haven’t been cooking much lately, so I don’t have any new recipes at the moment, but I have been super busy. It’s Nutcracker season in our house. It’s Christmas time, school concert time, and we have a million birthdays happening now and soon, but the thing that’s taking up all of our time is Nutcracker Shenanigans. All three girls are in the show. This year, Scottie is a sunflower. Rylie is a party child, a strawberry, and the understudy for both Clara and Fritz. Sydney is a snow, a trooper, and a part time flower. Ben is also working tech for the show. He’s been helping set everything up, and during the show he’ll be working the light board. I’ve been volunteering by watching littles during the tech week rehearsals, and another mom and myself have taken on the responsibility of running the Nutcracker Tea Party fundraiser for the pre professional dance company. It’s been fun, exhausting, someti