Skip to main content

Born A Crime - Book Review

The second book I read for my 24 books in 2017 was Born a Crime by Trevor Noah.




Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Child by Trevor Noah
Hardcover: 304 pages  Publisher: Spiegel and Grau (November 15, 2016)


Something you should know about me.  I love memoirs about people I find interesting. Musicians I enjoy listening to actors I like watching. I really like reading these memoirs when their lives and upbringings are so different from mine. I should have been a sociologist. Is that a real thing?

Anyway, Trevor Noah was born and raised in South Africa. If you know anything at all about South Africa, the word apartheid probably comes to mind. Yup, that's all I knew about South Africa... that and Charlize Theron comes from there.

Apartheid is defined as institutionalized racial segregation and discrimination, in South Africa, that occurred from 1948 to 1991.

Trevor Noah was born during apartheid to a Swiss (white) father and a Xhosa (black) mother. Interracial relations during that time could be punishable by 5 years in prison. This was only the start to Trevor Noah's story. The obstacles he has overcome, paths he could have taken, and even paths he did take, shaped who he is and how he got to where he is now.

I have to admit, I laughed a lot, I cried a ton, and the amount I learned about South Africa and apartheid was insane.

There were parts that I read and reread and shared with Shawn and some friends, because they were simply too good to not tell everyone about. The story where he snuck a poop on some newspaper inside the house, instead of going to the outhouse in the rain and his family thought it was a totem left by a demon, stands out to me. I'm chuckling just thinking about it now.

There were also parts where I cried, or held my breath, like any story really talking about his step father, but mostly when his step father shot his mother.

I literally couldn't put this book down. I would recommend though, if anyone decides to read this, it's not for the faint of heart, and also, get your tissues ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and