Skip to main content

A Wonderful Mother's Day Weekend

I feel like I am the luckiest lady in the world.  I have three amazing children and a wonderful husband.  Some days I wonder what I did to deserve such happiness.  This weekend was a wonderful one, filled with family time.

I posted already about the first half of my Saturday here.  Truth is, our weekend started even before Saturday. 

Friday afternoon, we went to Topeka to take my Grandpa Moose out to eat a late lunch or early dinner for his birthday.  We went to the Olive Garden and then for milkshakes at Baskin Robbins.  Yum yum! 



Ok, so back to Saturday.  Saturday afternoon, the play date fell through.  That happens sometimes.  We all have lives and sometimes that comes in the way of our plans.  It didn't stop us from going to the park to play though.  





After the park, we went shopping for some things to keep the dog in the backyard, and for planting supplies for Mother's Day.  I love shopping.  I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to shopping and I absolutely love gardening and hardware stores.  There is something about the smell of a hardware store.  It brings memories of my childhood and going to Miller Hardware with my parents.  After shopping we had to run a few things home and pickup Torren for dinner and the movies.  After a yummy Mexican dinner at El Mezcal we took all the kids to see The Avengers in 3D.  I really enjoyed it and think I should go back and watch Captain America and Thor, since I haven't seen them.  I would definitely recommend this movie.  Because we had just eaten dinner, we didn't get popcorn or anything at the movies so when we came home, the kids munched on some kettle corn we bought that morning at the farmer's market.


Sunday, the kids slept in so we all got some of the rest we've been needing.  Not long after every one got up, my mom surprised us.  She was in the neighborhood.  It was great to see her.  I was afraid we'd miss her on Mother's Day.  

We got all dressed, planted some flowers, and Shawn hung the gifts he and the kids got me.



Shawn also, moved our tomato plants and our strawberry plants to bigger pots.



Also, on a side note, here's a picture of our new door that I'm so in love with.  I like leaving the big door open during the day to let some light in.  


Ok, so back to Sunday.  We went to Kansas City.  Terry and Kelly took the kids to Cabela's with them so that they could see the animals and the big fish.  Shawn went to clean his Granny's carpets for her like a good grandson does, and we went to go get Sydney's ears pierced.  She did so good.  I'm a proud Mom.







After we got back from the Legends we ate an amazing dinner that Shawn's dad made for us.  Yummy salad, steak, corn on the cob, potato salad, steamed veggies, grilled veggies, and brownies.  It doesn't get more delicious than that.  Shawn brought a surprise back from his Granny's house.  He brought tons of photo albums.  I know that he brought them for me, but it turned into something that we were all able to enjoy!  I loved seeing photos of his mom, his aunts and uncles and his grandparents all growing up.  Such a fun thing to do and to do together as a family.  We just spent the rest of the evening together as a family.  It's a great family to be a part of, and I feel so lucky.




 This morning, it was an obvious realization that the wonderful weekend is over...  Shawn spent a little time snuggling the kids to spend some one on one time before his trip to Nashville.


Now I feel like I'm just counting down the time until Thursday afternoon for him to get home.  I hate him being away, but he's doing what he has to, to support our family, and I have to say, he's pretty darn good at it.

Lastly, here is a picture of the flowers my in-laws bought me, and a picture of our mantel with my wonderful and sweet cards from the family and flowers from Terry.



Comments

Unknown said…
Looks like you had a super awesome weekend!

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and