Skip to main content

An Awful, Awful Day

Do you ever have days where everything comes tumbling down all at once?  That was today for me.  I guess it started last night, really...

(This is a big ranting post, just so you know ahead of time...)

Last night, Shawn and I were doing laundry, packing his suitcase and picking up the house from the whirlwind weekend.  We were also watching Game Of Thrones.  That show is absolutely addictive and we were almost to the end of the season so we went ahead and finished it.  At about 2:00 we were ready for Bed.  I was changing Rylie's diaper on the bed on her changing pad.  She pee'd and it ran off the pad, all over the top sheet and comforter.  I got up and stripped the wet blankets off of the bed, cleaned Rylie up and got her new pjs and diaper on.  We were just laying back down when Ben came walking into the bedroom.  We got him laying down on the floor and almost asleep when Sydney came in.  We got several blankets (for us on the bed and the kids on the floor) and by the time we finally got laid down, it was a little after 3.

Shawn had an early flight this morning and we live 45 minutes to an hour from the airport so he had to leave at about 6:30.  This had me awake while he was getting up and out of the house.  The kids were up at 7:30 and that's all she wrote.  I was done sleeping and not thrilled about it, but that's the life of a parent.

As the day went on, we went to the grocery store.  Sydney threw tantrums through most of the store and at some point lost her Ninny (pacifier) and it was the last one I knew where it was.  We ended up having to buy a whole new package, after already having checked out.  As I'm paying for the new Ninnies, I turn around and Sydney is eating M&Ms we have not purchased.  I paid for them with change, shoved them in the diaper bag and off we went.  The second we stepped into the parking lot, a ton of stuff fell off the cart onto the pavement. I got it all cleaned up but was so ready to just get home.

Sydney has decided that she's now a biter.  Well only towards Rylie.  Everytime I turn around, even if for literally two seconds, she bites her.  Sydney has been severely punished each time, but poor Rylie still has the marks, and I can't help but feel like I've failed at keeping my baby safe.  The last time it happened, tonight, I lost my temper and told Sydney that if she didn't stop, we were going to have to send her away, somewhere that they could help her quit being so mean.  I regretted it the second the words came out of my mouth and told her that I didn't mean it, but now I hate myself.  I've never really done that before... lost my temper like that.  I just feel awful.

Tomorrow is four years since my Dad died.



I think about him all the time.  I miss him every day.  Certain days are especially hard, like the anniversary of his death (anniversary seems like the wrong word since that should be a happy word not one you reference to a death date), his birthday, Father's day, and the big holidays.  Usually I'm surrounded by my support system, mainly my wonderful husband who is my rock and just being near him make me feel stronger.  Well, Shawn is in Atlanta until Thursday and I'm here to deal with the grief without him.  It's not been going well today.  This evening was the worst.  I've been crying a lot.

Finally, I got myself involved in drama on Facebook that didn't involve me.  I usually can control myself and stay out of it, but with the rest of the day weighing on my shoulders, and the things that were being said about someone that I care about... I couldn't, not say something.  I hope that makes sense.  I don't believe I said anything that made me look bad or that I'll regret later, but I just can't handle people being so mean.  I just feel bad for her, because family should be supportive, not bring others down.

Ok, I think I'm done with my rant.  I'm eating some candy and enjoying some mint limeade before bed.



It was supposed to be an early night, but seeing as it's 12:23, that ship has sailed.  Hopefully I'll get some sleep soon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love you so much Lizzie. This whole thing made me cry. Especially that picture of your dad. He means so much to me just like the rest of you guys do. I know its hard but you will get through this... we all will together. You are a great mom and your babies are amazing. Keep your head up. We've been family since before I can remember && I know we don't talk much but I will always be here. I love you <3 I'm here if you need me.
Liz said…
Aww Thank you so much. I just don't know who this is...

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and