Skip to main content

Happy St. Patrick's Day!



Hope everyone is having a wonderful St. Patrick's Day if you are celebrating and if you don't, hope you are having a wonderful day.  I know that I am.

Last night, the big two kids spent most of the night in our bed kicking, tossing and turning, and laying sideways or wedging underneath us.  It was a long night.  At about 5:30 I almost gave up on sleeping but knew that by the time the first mass started at 8:30, I would not be in very good shape after going to bed only 4-5 hours before, so finally I fell back to sleep.  At 8:30 my alarm went off and both Rylie and Ben woke up.  I didn't want to leave the comfort of my bed, or my snuggly babies so I pushed it as long as I possibly could.  Finally I got up and dressed in my green, brushed my teeth and my hair, put on a little make up and ran out the door.  I was nice and early to mass as I always try to be.  Sometimes that Northex can get quite crowded and I like to get a good spot to sit, near an end of a pew, since I can't take the Eucharist yet.  (Only two more weeks to go!) That way I can just slide out of the pew for every one to get past and then get back in.  Mass was wonderful and really spoke to me and then at the end Fr. Mick reminded everyone that today is the feast day for St. Patrick and told everyone Happy St. Patrick's Day and then showed us under the sleeve of his white and purple robes, he too had on green. It was really cute and a fun light way to leave the service.

After mass, I had to run to Walmart because sadly I didn't get shirts for the kids.  At Walmart, obviously, the selection was so picked over that I opted for just green shirts that the kids can wear again and again and again, which I appreciate more anyway.  After Walmart, I ran to our favorite donut place in town, Munchers Bakery.  The kids all got donuts that had green and yellow sprinkles on them.  Fun and festive, and my personal favorite is there cream cheese donut although they have really good apple and blueberry fritters too.  Yum!!!!  I made a quick stop by the Merc for some yummy Iwig chocolate milk.  This is the best chocolate milk to use in an iced mocha, I have to say.

After eating the donuts, my sweet husband suggested that I take Rylie upstairs and that her and I get a nice nap in.  It was wonderful, but as with any nap, I'm left feeling not quite satisfied.  Maybe it's from my serious sleep deprivation, maybe it's from years of no naps, who knows...  This year, I'm doing my usual corned beef but for my cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and onions, I'm going to roast them.  I thought that would be super yummy although simmering them is delicious too.

Usually we like to take the kids to the Lawrence parade, but because it's so cold today, we decided to pass but I recorded the parade on TV so we can watch it later.  Honestly, this is our traditional St. Patrick's Day.  Wear green, eat corned beef and cabbage, and maybe go to the parade.  It's not partying or anything, but hey I'm a bit of a homebody and don't really like doing much without my kids.  I'm not looking down on people who are out at the bars and enjoying their green beer (I gave up alcohol for lent so can't partake this year anyway).  That's just not who I am.


The evening will be filled with delicious food, laundry, a little TV and SLEEP!!!  Shawn just came into the kitchen (waking from his own nap) asking where the truck is that hit us today.  Yup, it's one of those days.

Alright, I need to get going so I can get some veggies ready for roasting.  Hope every one is having a happy and safe St. Patrick's Day.

Update:

Here's an picture of our amazing meal.  I must add that the only left overs we had was about 1/3rd of the loaf of bread and about 1/3 of the cabbage... Roasted cabbage, potatoes, and carrots was the way to go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Homemaker Monday

Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

Potato Soup

During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

Happy Homemaker Monday

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and