Skip to main content

Maybe You Think I Am Who I'm Not

I am fantastic at a few things:
  • I can cook. People like what I cook and my husband rants and raves about things I fix.
  • Marrying well.  I most assuredly chose a man better than myself and who works so insanely hard for his family that I feel like a slacker most of the time. 
  • Appreciating what I have and who I am.
I am good-ish at a few things:
  • Being a mom.  My kids seem happy, healthy, and well fed.  I spend as much time as I can with them, whether it's snuggling on the couch or in bed, playing with toys on the floor, watching movies, doing crafts, playing in the back yard or park, or reading books.
  • Making decisions.  My husband has a tendency to do the "I don't care, you decide." or "No, what do you want?" so I've taken over making a lot of decisions and for the most part they are the right ones as he still lets me make them.
Things that will elude me for the rest of my life because I suck:
  • Cleaning.  Organizing.  Paperwork.  I get on top of this stuff and then get woefully behind.  On top, behind, on top, behind... sounds good if we're talking about sex, not so much if you're talking about laundry and dish mountains and piles of mail.  Don't get me wrong, if you come to my house it will be fairly clean, unless you show up unexpectedly or are in the "inner sanctum" and I let you see it when a tornado has hit.
  • Dieting/Exercise.  I am not a size 2, nor will I ever be, but I will tell you how cute you are if you're a size 2 (and very much mean it) and then eat a cheeseburger.  I always try to diet and exercise and it often gets lost somewhere in the shuffle of life.
  • I swear.  Like a sailor sometimes most days.  I'm not even sure why because I have a decent vocabulary aside from the four letter variety.  I even get onto my husband about his language when I know I'm just as bad.  I'm trying so hard to not swear in front of the children.
  • Sleep.  I am in bed WAY too late on a regular basis & I nap when Ben and Sydney do.  Often.   
  • Wearing clothes other than sweats and way over-sized t-shirts, or colors other than black.  
  • Thank you cards.  I always say I'm going to write them.  I often buy them.  Sometimes I get them filled out and addressed, but they never end up getting mailed out or even hand delivered.  I do Christmas cards every year, but can't do thank you cards after a birthday, Christmas, baby shower, wedding, etc.  Pretty pathetic of me, in my opinion.
Your turn to tell me who YOU are...  Whether it's your first visit or your hundredth, I'd love to hear one thing you're fantastic at, one thing you're pretty good at, and one thing you aren't so good with. 

    Comments

    Lara said…
    Okay, I laughed and then I felt okay about myself b/c I realized we all have things we're good at and things we aren't and that's okay (usually).
    Shawn said…
    Hah - I love you sweety. I think you're great at everything.

    I am good at: Working hard. I bust my butt for you guys -BUT- I only do it because I'd go crazy without things to do.

    I'm kinda good at: Cleaning. I put it off but I do get it done - usually in manic bursts.

    I suck at: Appreciating you vocally. I love you and appreciate everything you do, but I don't always say it.

    Thank you for everything you do and Happy Mother's Day!

    Love ya.

    Popular posts from this blog

    Happy Homemaker Monday

    Woke up to a nice cold, fall day this morning. When I did the school run this morning it was a whole 37 degrees.  Brrrrr!!! The weather outside is:::: Very cold mornings causing us to turn our heat on but warm afternoons. Monday  - Sunny, 74 Tuesday  - Partly cloudy, 63 Wednesday  - Sunny, 57 Thursday  - Sunny, 70 Friday  - Sunny, 75 Saturday  - Partly cloudy, 72 Sunday  - Storms, 73 On the breakfast plate this morning:::: Busy day today, so Shawn picked up Starbucks on his way home from the gym. I'm eating a turkey bacon and gouda sandwich and drinking my venti mocha with 2 pumps of pumpkin spice. As I look outside my window::: The sun is shining so bright and it's absolutely gorgeous outside. The leaves are just starting to change. We put up our outside decorations last night for fall and Halloween. It's looks so cute out there. Right now I am:::: Sitting at the counter trying to quickly type up this post and eat my breakfast. As I look around

    Potato Soup

    During Lent this last spring, I needed a meat free dinner to feed my sister-in-law and her family. Usually my potato soup has lots of bacon and bacon grease in it. I found this recipe here .This one is meatless, but it is important to add that it is NOT dairy free. There are adjustments you can do to make it dairy free though. It’s quick and was really well liked.  Potato Soup 6-8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and chopped 1 yellow onion, diced 2 stalks celery, chopped 1 clove garlic 4 cups vegetable stock 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded 1/2 cup sour cream or cream 1 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper Pinch red pepper flakes 1 tbsp butter 1 tbsp olive oil In a large pot over medium heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once hot and melted together add the onions and celery. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the potatoes and minced garlic to the pot and continue to sauté all of the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Add vegetable stock and increase th

    Happy Homemaker Monday

    Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Our Easter included family, yummy food, beautiful weather, and a kickball game. The weather::: Monday  - Cloudy, 74º Tuesday  - PM Showers, 67º Wednesday  - Cloudy, 73º Thursday  - AM Clouds/PM Sun, 80º Friday  - Sunny, 76º Saturday  - PM Thunderstorms, 80º Sunday  - Partly Cloudy, 76º On my reading pile::: Yes Please by Amy Poehler Love Poems for Married People by John Kenney Miracle Creek by Angie Kim A Lily in the Light by Kristin Fields The January Children by Safia Elhillo Movies or Shows I watched this weekend::: Last week's Grey's Anatomy, a couple episodes of The Office, and the new Game of Thrones. On my TV this week::: Vlogs Grey's Anatomy Game of Thrones Super Store Good Girls On the menu for this week::: Monday  Easter Leftovers Tuesday  Hamburgers with potatoes, asparagus and corn on the cob Wednesday Ham and cheese sandwiches Thursday Pork Tenderloin with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and